Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Anatomy of a Fairy

The last few days I was busy reblocking my pantomime shot to reduce the body mechanics and concentrate more on the actual assignment the acting and the emotional change. I tried to put in some time for the daily doodles but I really couldn't manage to do so.

But instead of an daily doodle I did an anatomical Study ^^



Wayne wanted me to think about how Fairy's fly and how and where the Wings are attached to their body. This is what I came up with so far:

I studied several birds and insects how they fly and how a Fairy would fly compared to them. I think a Fairy is anatomical closer to an Insect then to a bird. Simply because wings of a fairy are an addition to their body and don't replace the arms.

Fairies look to me as if they are an anatomical mix between a Human and a Dragonfly. They have the same size and weight as a Dragon Fly but the body structure resembles a Human. So in terms of flying I would think that they need to combine characteristics of both creatures.
A Dragonfly always folds their limbs close to their body to become more aerodynamic while flying fast flight maneuvers but also use them to reach out to their landing spot or their prey in mid-air. If a Human would fold their limbs close to their body He/She would become anything but aerodynamic, to reduce the air resistance we have to stretch our legs and either stretch our arms forward (like when we swim) or keep them stretched backwards close to our body and lead with our head.
Dragonflies are excellent fliers and can loop-the-loop, hover and fly backwards quite easily. They flap their wings relatively slowly though, at less than 30 beats per second. Compare this with 200 bps for a hoverfly or 300 bps for a honey bee.
The anatomical biggest difference is that Dragonflies have no spine, but a very hard body and a long tail. In order to compensate this in the Animation I think that I have to use the limbs of the Fairy a little to keep the balance, especially while hovering. But I think that the weight of their limbs (compared to the body weight of course) as to be much more light then the one from a Human. Maybe the fairydust works just like the small chambers filled with a mixture of oxygen and helium that Bees have in their body.
Because if a Human would hang on a rope that is constrained to his spine, it would take him an immense effort to keep his arms, legs and head lifted up, He/She would need to drop all limbs and let them dangle after a very short time. I think in order to move in the air like a fairy we Humans would need to get into a Zero Gravatiy Zone or something close to that.

Summarized:
Faires are an anatomical mix between a Human and a Dragonfly. They fairy dust helps them to move there limbs in the air without any struggle. To fly fast they reduce the air resistance by making them self as aerodynamic as possible. While hovering they use their limbs to keep them self balanced.

1 Kommentare:

Rebecca Bright said...

I'm currently working on an anatomy project where students present projects based on the anatomies of mythological or supernatural creatures, and I choose to do mine over fairies. Very interesting read- definitely helping me analyze the body of the fairy! Thanks for posting. x